- The killings of 16 travellers in Uromi, Edo State have stirred a wave of reactions across northern leaders
- Kano Governor Abba Yusuf demanded the public parade of the suspected killers and compensation for the victims' families
- The Sultan of Sokoto and other northern leaders called on the federal government to address rising insecurity
The tragic killings of 16 travellers in Uromi, Edo State, have triggered a wave of outrage across northern Nigeria, with governors and community leaders calling for swift justice and heightened security in the wake of the violence.
Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, expressed outrage over the incident and called for the public parade of the suspected killers.
Northern governors condemn killings, call for justice
He also demanded compensation for the victims' families during a condolence visit by his Edo counterpart, Monday Okpebholo, in Kano on Monday, March 31.
The Director-General (Press Affairs) to the Nigeria Governors' Forum NGF Chairman and Governor of Gombe State, Ismaila Misili, said, “Let me unequivocally state that there is no tension in the North over the unfortunate incident in Edo State. Recall that northern governors, through their Chairman and Governor of Gombe State, Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya, had already issued a statement calling for calm and restraint.”
“Individual governors in the North have also proactively engaged with relevant stakeholders to ensure peace, especially ahead of the Eid el-Fitr celebrations. Religious leaders also continue to promote peaceful coexistence and discourage any actions that might disrupt the harmony we have worked diligently to establish.”
In Nasarawa State, the government condemned the killings and urged security agencies to prosecute the perpetrators. Peter Ahemba, Senior Special Assistant to Governor Abdullahi Sule on Public Affairs, revealed that security agencies had been placed on high alert across all 13 local government areas to prevent any reprisals.
Sultan of Sokoto condemns killings, calls for decisive action on insecurity
He stressed the importance of maintaining peace in the state, stating, “Governor Abdullahi Sule has said that no matter what, we must maintain peace in Nasarawa State. We have no room for such dastardly acts as seen in Edo. Security agencies have been placed on red alert to ensure that nothing untoward happens anywhere in the state regarding any reprisal attacks,” he said.
Borno State, however, indicated that it was still assessing the situation. The state’s Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Usman Tar, confirmed that they had not yet received directives from the Northern Governors’ Forum.
Meanwhile, the Borno State Police Command increased patrols to ensure security during the Sallah celebrations. Police spokesperson Nahum Daso said, “What we currently have on the ground is Sallah preparation. We have deployed personnel in strategic positions. We are also conducting a show of force, which involves patrolling to ensure visibility. This will help prevent any incidents that could lead to unrest, particularly those with religious undertones.”
The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, through Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), condemned the killings. A statement issued by JNI’s Secretary-General, Prof Khalid Abubakar Aliyu, expressed deep sorrow and called on the federal government to take decisive action to address the country’s rising insecurity.
Victims of tragic killings burned to death in Edo state
The Hausa community in Jos, Plateau State, also condemned the killings. Alhaji Sabiu Ibrahim, a prominent leader, expressed his community’s shock and frustration over the incident, particularly the gruesome images circulating on social media.
Ibrahim revealed, “We are not happy with the killings, and our northern leaders have also condemned the manner in which those northerners were killed. We stand by that condemnation, and we believe that innocent people being killed while travelling should not be swept under the carpet,” he said.
Recall that the hunters were travelling in a truck when they were intercepted by a local vigilante group, who accused them of being kidnappers. The victims were burned to death while 10 others managed to escape.
Killing of suspected cultist at Owo Poly triggers unexpected reactions from students, indigenes
Meanwhile, TheRadar earlier reported that a first-year Mass Communication student of Rufus Giwa Polytechnic in Ondo State was killed.
Reactions from fellow students and an indigene suggest that it was not a random death.